RFC: draft of new privacy policy

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Sep 3 11:33:36 UTC 2015

On 09/02/2015 06:56 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 06:20:21PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> AFAIK, in Germany, it's the laws that any such "passing on personal
>> information" needs to be opt-in - "Opt-out" and "always-on" would be
>> unlawful.
>> I'd seriously recommend to pass this proposal on to a EU
>> data-privacy law expert.
>
> I'll pass on this concern, but generally I trust Fedora Legal to take
> these things into account.
>
> Also, please do note that this is not a change -- it appears in the
> current privacy policy as well.
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:PrivacyPolicy>
If you say so :-)

I didn't compare to the old version.

However, I have to emphasize that I feel, you (RH and all of the US) are
underestimating how sensitive this topic currently is. Things that would
have "gone unnoticed", won't "go unnoticed" these days.

Very sensitive is anything that concerns personalized tracking and
passing on personalized data to 3rd parties.

>> You might not be aware about it, but almost all recent changes in
>> "Terms of Usage" of US-internet enterprises (Facebook, Twitter,
>> netflix, Google and esp. *Microsoft*) have been subject to fierce
>> opposition from the EU and caused severe damage to all these
>> enterprises.
>
> But our privacy policy is not "terms of use", nor is it modeled on
> those companies. Is there anything in specific you are worried about
> causing damage (severe or otherwise), beyond the concern about EU data
> privacy laws and not wanting us to use third parties for research?
May-be I need to re-read a couple of times and to let some more time
pass by, but not for now.

Ralf