[Fedora] Proposal for Python 3 Porting FAD

Neville A. Cross yn1v at taygon.com
Sun Sep 27 05:21:46 UTC 2015

El 2015-09-26 11:50, Matthew Miller escribió:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 10:53:11AM -0500, Abdel G. Martínez L. wrote:
>> We discussed the possibility of making this FAD, global, having
>> simultaneous events on NA, EMEA, LATAM and APAC. Right now we have
>> only
>> point-of-contacts in LATAM (me) and EMEA (Matej).
>
> Especially in light of that,iIs there a lot of value in having this be
> an in-person FAD rather than a "virtual FAD", conducted online?

 From my point of view, Brno has most of the people (if not all) working
on this porting. So, having some face to face time to engage in this
initiative outside Brno will help distribute the load to other palces.
This will facilitating future FADs on this topic, those can be done
regionally with online support form Brno.

> Also, while I like Python, I'm having trouble seeing this as really
> highly important for Fedora. It obviously fits with our "first" value,
> but I don't see a gigantic strategic win. I mean, advancing version
> numbers happens all the time. Can you elaborate more on the high-level
> impact expected from this?

The only PyCon that I have been was in 2011 and everybody was saying
something along the lines of: "Python 3 is okey if they don't touch my
stuff". Despite the time passed, Python 3 is not the default version. I
think if advancing version number in Python is going to happen, needs
some championship to make it happen (the "first" value). The number of
packages having double version is increasing. The burden to maintain
those duplicates is time consuming. Time that can be more useful
allocated to develop new things instead of work keeping backward
compatibility.

But I may not seeing the big picture and maybe there are other task more
prominent that will be better for using those collaborator time and
project budget.

Not sure what will be the outcome of this proposal. But if this do not
work out, I think the best thing to do is to channel this eagerness to
help into a high-level impact task.

Neville
FAS: yn1v