FC2 and Alcatel Speedtouch

Markus Nicolussi mcwimpy at gmx.at
Tue Jul 27 10:21:01 UTC 2004

Hi!

I had also a lot of problems setting up the alcatel speedtouch modem 4 FC2.
As u experienced it there is a lot of useless HOWTOs cruising around in the
inet. at least they seem to be 4 a lot of european people outsinde of
gemany. And this was the big problem i had to solve. In Austria the modem
uses PPP over ATM and somehow encapsulated a VPN like connection with PPTP.
if this is the same in your country (schweiz?) then i have a solution 4 u.

I finally found the sollution in a book i have to recommend very strongly to
german nebie FC and SUSE users. the price is 60EUR

http://www.kofler.cc/linux.html

pg 871ff lists 2 possibilitys
*pppoa3 driver from Benoit Papillault (thats what your howto is about)
*pppoatm plugin (its an add-on for pppd, speedtch kernel module needed)

i found that the second method is quite convenient. and will explain it
here.

At first connect your USB modem and be sure that the speedtch kernel module
is loaded (lsmod!) It's included in FC2 and was loading automatically on my
machine.

Then u have to get the latest speedtouch drivers from here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/speedtouch
and install it
rpm -ivh speedtouch-1.3-2.i586.rpm
you need the "modem_run" program to initialize the modem.

Then download the modem init file KQD6P2.eni here
http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/download/index.html
download the zip file KQD6_R204.zip. Unzip it to get the files KQD6P1.eni
and KQD6P2.eni. The one you want is KQD6P2.eni (the bigger of the two). i
copied this file to /lib to easier start ADSL at boot time (see later)

now u can initialize your modem
/usr/sbin/modem_run -k -f /lib/KQD6P2.eni

Now u need a special version of pppd, because the one shipped with FC2 does
not include the pppoatm plugin. download from here
http://grumz.dyndns.org/ADSL_FC2/
and update your pppd
rpm -Uvh ppp-2.4.2b3-1.GrumZ.i386.rpm linux-atm-2.4.1-1.GrumZ.i386.rpm

Now u have to configure pppd. But before u can do this be sure to have an
empty /etc/ppp/options. Create the file /etc/ppp/peers/adsl and edit it in
the following way:

# /etc/ppp/peers/adsl

# pppoatm specific options
plugin /usr/lib/pppd/plugins/pppoatm.so
asyncmap 0

# no compression
noaccomp
nopcomp
noccp
novj

# normal Options
lock
noauth
noipdefault
defaultroute
usepeerdns
name "YOUR_ACCOUNT_NAME"

# in case of an interruption in the connection
# reastablish connenction after 4 seconds
persist
holdoff 4
maxfail 25

# /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-adsl contains PEERDNS=yes
ipparam "adsl"

# dial-on-demand
#demand
#connect "/bin/true"
#idle 300
#ktune

# automatic test of the connection
lcp-echo-interval 60
lcp-echo-failure 2

# write PID in /var/run/ppp-adsl.pid
linkname "adsl"

# VPI/VCI (has to be in the last line!)
8.48

don't forget to create a file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-adsl with
the entry
PEERDNS=yes

enter your internet account password in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets

start ADSL with
pppd call adsl

stop ADSL with
killall pppd

u have to be root to do that. I don't now a solution for sarting ADSL as a
user. for example via the GNOME modem applet. Anyone any ideas?

you might want to start your ADSL connection at the startup of your machine
and stop the connection at the shutdown of your computer.

create a file /etc/init.d/adsl and edit it in the following way

#!/bin/bash
# /etc/init.d/adsl
#
# chkconfig: 35 99 10
# processname: ADSL
# pidfile: /var/run/ppp-adsl.pid

case "$1" in
        start)
           echo "starting ADSL ..."
           /usr/sbin/modem_run -k -f /lib/KQD6P2.eni
           pppd call adsl
           ;;
        stop)
           echo "shutting down ADSL ..."
           [ -f /var/run/ppp-adsl.pid ] && \
                kill $(head -1 /var/run/ppp-adsl.pid)
           ;;
        *)
           echo "usage: $0 {start|stop}"
           exit 1
           ;;
esac

now chmod the file to executable and add the new script to your boot process
chmod a+x /etc/init.d/adsl
chkconfig --add adsl

SPEEDTOUCH ETHERNET MODEM

I have to recommend all ADSL users the Ethernet version of the ADSL modem as
it ist much easyer to configure!

first u need a pptpclient
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/
update your pppd
rpm -Uvh ppp-2.4.3-0.cvs_20040527.1.fc2.i386.rpm
and install the pptp client
rpm -ivh pptp-linux-1.5.0-1.i386.rpm

configure your ethernet card with an IP which is something between 10.0.0.1
and 10.0.0.254 but not 10.0.0.138 (this is the modem) and a Subnet Mask
255.255.255.0 and NO Gateway Adress.

test your modem with
ping 10.0.0.138

Now u have to configure pppd. But before u can do this be sure to have an
empty /etc/ppp/options. Create the file /etc/ppp/peers/adsl and edit it in
the following way:

# /etc/ppp/peers/adsl
# pptp specific options
pty "/usr/sbin/pptp 10.0.0.138 --nolaunchpppd"

# no compression
nobsdcomp
nodeflate

[...]

for the ADSL start at boot time use the same method like above but WITHOUT
the line
           /usr/sbin/modem_run -k -f /lib/KQD6P2.eni

The End :-)

Please let me know if this helped you, as i was doing this HOWTO on a
different machine than the one which gave me my speedtouch experiences. and
so i couldn't test it. :-)

ciao, nico.