Windows 8 Preview & Fedora 17 Alpha: "BOOTMGR is missing"

ng0177 at gmail.com ng0177 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 16:08:08 UTC 2012

Hallo Ulf, nach ein paar Tagen hier die Summary wie es am Ende herauskam -
auf Englisch, damit ich auch den Bug schliessen lassen kann und das für
andere vielleicht auch interessant ist:

The problem turned out not to be related to booting but is of general
nature:

Installation of Fedora17 Alpha on a laptop:

A LiveUSB had to be burned with a litte tool, the CD never worked
(Windows7/8 burning is very confusing).

The BIOS had to be changed to accept USB as a boot option

F12 needed to pressed during start up

F17A hangs during installation during formatting ext4 file systems waiting
for probably non-existent drives. Alt-F4 interrupts and re-continues with
the installation.

F17A is dead slow and gives a wrong impression for the dead fast F16 64-bit
performance.

F17A has Gnome 3.3 and fixes a problem with adjusting the screen brightness
and should be considered as an update for F16.

I am impressed overall with F16 and glad to have switched.

Thanks again for the help!

Peter