[Design-team] Final wallpaper selection

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 01:00:50 UTC 2009

> > Seeing the backgrounds from the main package in action, I have one
> > piece of feedback -- the mosaic-squares background might benefit from
> > being angled in some fashion.  Perhaps this could be some perspective,
> > as if the print of squares was on a wall angling away from the viewer
> > at the top.  That would prevent the squares from making it a little
> > more difficult to see icons on the desktop.  Hope this is helpful.
>
> I spent a little time with all the backgrounds Martin kindly packaged.
> One of the important things I noticed was that Maria's art is *much*
> smaller in size than all the others.  This is a significant factor in
> deciding on default artwork because we are so squeezed for space on
> CD-size Live spins.
>
> We recently moved from Tomboy to Gnote in the Desktop spin for Fedora
> 12.  This saves space by eliminating the Mono stack from that Spin,
> saving us megabytes worth of space we can use for other software.
> Although all the artists should be commended for their beautiful work,
> I think it would be very hypocritical of Fedora to eliminate software
> for space reasons while retaining very large artwork files.  In some
> cases these files are 2 or 3 MB in size, which is significant in the
> context of a CD-sized spin.
>
> Maria's art looks like the only art that is more of a vector-based
> illustration, which I recall the Design team had said was going to be
> preferred for this release.  I think there are some improvements we
> could make to that background to make it more usable and functional,
> as I wrote earlier.  But further, I think we should be considering
> space as a factor in the decision for default background.

I would not really recommend making the size a factor in deciding the
background. In the big scheme of things 2M or 3M is not going to decide
whether we fit or not, considering that the outstanding change to dracut
initrds alone will make us grow by another 15M.

Also, mono was never on the live cd, for size reasons. We _added_ a
note-taking application where there was none before.

Matthias