[Design-team] [F12 Artwork] Final Wallpaper Concept

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:46:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 16:26 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> it's about time we discuss which of the three [1][2][3] wallpaper
> concepts will be used as a base for the Constantine theme. Please bear
> in mind we are not comparing how evolved each of the designs is, but
> rather checking the potential of the design. We want a wallpaper that is
> both nice and suitable for default, not a wallpaper that's awesome and
> cool but you cannot discern icons/text on half of it. I suggest that
> people raise their reasons for and against choosing one or another in
> this thread and we hold a (hopefully) short IRC session next Monday
> (2009-08-10) to make the final decision. Would 16:00 UTC be a good time
> for everyone?
>
> Don't forget to take into account e.g. the progress that's now happening
> in another thread about mosaico and any other updates to the mentioned
> designs.
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Fedora12_mosaic-glow_mo.png
> [3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Fedora-wall-jayme-VII.jpg

Oups, I've sent it to fedora-art-list by mistake, but seems it arrived
to the design-team correctly...

Now to get the ball rolling. I'm sort of tired of photo-manip and rather
complex backgrounds that extensively use various patterns, brushes, etc.
so while I like Jayme's design, and don't have any sound reason for not
making it default, I'd rather go with one of the other two. Perhaps the
main concern I have is that it is too concrete to my taste and that it
has some sort of religious feel -- all the clouds (or are they waves?)
and Constantine sitting in midst of that... Also the wallpaper seems too
busy to me, like composed from two different themes (like if the statue
was implanted into the design after it has been already done), the
statue steals to much attention.

For the underwater mosaic. I think it very cool and awesome, but at the
same time it still needs a lot of work. It kind of reminds me both of
the DNA and waves themes that I rather liked. And while it's still a
photomanip, it's abstract and I think the mosaic, water and glows work
great together if used right. On the flip side, it's rather big in size,
which we could probably optimize by using JPEG instead of PNG... I would
really love to see the default theme in F12 to be based on this concept.

And last but not least - mosaico. It's abstract, it's vector, it's
simple, it perhaps has the most potential of these three, but still
needs a hell lot of work. The perspective approach is an interesting
take, I think perhaps it would be even better if we combined this with
the underwater mosaic. Create a simple mosaic in this style, but with
perspective, not as tiles -- it would be nice if it created some nice
picture, e.g. the four foundations, or just one of the foundations per
picture and it could circle between the four versions -- and add the
underwater effect.

Well, that's about my impressions about these candidates.
Martin