[Design-team] [F12 Artwork] Final Wallpaper Concept

Jayme Ayres jayme at jaymeayres.com
Thu Aug 6 20:36:09 UTC 2009

2009/8/6 Máirín Duffy <mairin at linuxgrrl.com>:
> On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 14:51 -0300, Jayme Ayres wrote:
>> When did the proposal, not thought in a discussion to address many
>> issues, such as referring the "Great Waves ... ' of Kanagawa or even
>> religious issues that I read here on the list.
>
> Most of the art work we've done as a team has been interpreted in ways I
> think were never intended (and sometimes I think interpreted in crazily
> unexpected ways), even works that had no strong concept underlying them.
> I think that's why it's important to seek out critique, for us to
> discuss how the artwork is interpreted by others and use that feedback
> to tweak the design to send the message we really wanted to send with it
> (or at least, avoid a message we know we do not want to send about
> Fedora! :) ) I can give you example after example of this - how the
> Fedora 8 infinity lines look like the Atari logo, how a starburst in one
> person's proposal a while back reminded people of the oppression of the
> Japanese empire during WWII, the sulphur looking like poo (well it did
> and I'm glad we dropped it :)), there were a few pieces that triggered a
> very strong religious interpretation from some folks I don't remember
> the specifics of.

If we look, all the arts have a concept that will send anything (bad
or good). And when we're working with many users it gives more room
for numerous interpretations, saying that this or that refers to any
matter religious, political or any other subject that generates some
kind of flame.

> I think it's important to get an idea of how works will be interpreted
> by Fedora users because they are our ultimate consumers. Even if we
> don't agree with the interpretation or don't think their reaction makes
> sense, we do need to acknowledge it. It's our choice to live with people
> interpreting it that way or if we want to adjust the work to change the
> interpretation.
>
>> I based the name and
>> made an explicit reference to the code, pasting other elements (such
>> as the engraving of Doré) to give an air of superiority to the statue
>> and a texture of concrete to harmonize the art.
>> Different from when I proposed an art involving the Tower of
>> Constantine that was mentioned subjectively applied with some effects
>> which referred the technology.
>>
>> I know that there is no common consensus in the use of the Statue of
>> art, perhaps, because I do not follow the original idea was to do
>> something with the theme "mosaic", using a collage of photos may look
>> a little "démodé" but for me is I can work and provide, as I have the
>> gift of making illustrations.
>>
>> The arguments that I have to use this art are little because I am
>> thinking more artistically than functionally, and even think that
>> artistically I said here that "art is subjective and is easy to
>> conceptualize a work of art or art done for a distribution.
>> These are my thoughts and I believe that the decision taken by this
>> team will be better for everyone.
>
> I'm having a little trouble understanding your meaning here, probably
> because of language issues, but I really really hope I haven't
> discouraged you at all, like many people have said, it is a really
> beautiful wallpaper. I would just like to see it pushed a little bit
> more conceptually. Art is definitely subjective, but so is any
> communication. I think maybe in art maybe you cannot control people's
> taste and whether or not something really appeals to someone in a deep
> way, but as a form of communication you do have some control over the
> message that it sends irregardless if someone subjectively likes it or
> not.

I think my arguments end up here, and as I told the Desing Team know
what is best.

> ~m

Jayme Ayres
www.jaymeayres.com