[Design-team] Updated desktop background survey

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Aug 10 16:02:15 UTC 2009

On 08/10/2009 06:45 PM, William Jon McCann wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>>
>> Since this is intended only for testing the functionality, you have to
>> ask one of the gallery admins (me or Mo) for an account (one of the
>> items in my wishlist is FAS integration, so the accounts are automated,
>> but we are not there...)
>>

> Right.  So this is one of the problems with this approach.  We want
> our pool of contributors to be larger than the FAS user set and much
> larger than the set of people that would be interested in asking for
> permission for an account and then having to move their photos from
> flickr into this gallery.

I am not sure this is a problem: we want uploads from people who signed
the CLA, and having a FAS account is pretty much a CLA confirmation.

Also, someone with a FAS account can take an image with the right
license (CC-BY) from other source and post it while crediting the
original author.

After all, we need the submitters to have an account *somewhere*, as a
confirmation of their identity (CLA, CC-BY), so better have this in our
court instead of relying on a closed 3-rd party (which is now in
business with our main competitor, Microsoft).