[Design-team] source control for fedora-themes

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 11:46:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 12:46 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Was just chatting a bit with msourada in #fedora-design today, and I was
> curious about contributing kde-compatible bits to constantine-backgrounds
> directly instead of doing it separately like in the past, see
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-kde-artwork/
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-kde-artwork/browser
> but I'd like to get away from that, and get everything more collaborative
> and centralized.
>
> But, it seems there is no source-control currently being used for fedora
> theming yet.  I'd like to propose hosting what's used in stuff like
> constantine-backgrounds (and future fedora-related theming) in a git (or svn
> or whatever) repo on http://fedorahosted.org/fedora-design/
>
> I'm not suggesting (yet anyway) using such repos for design-workflow really,
> that's something that seems to already have been worked out.  I'm only
> talking about the often painful technical details of getting already-
> designed stuff under source-control, and packaged for distro use.
>
> -- Rex
Yup, for my part a git repo would be really helpful. Spinning the source
tarball by hand is not an exactly nice experience ;-) Also keeping the
images in git (those that go into the package) is better than having
everything stored on my notebook (note that the images in the packages
aren't taken directly from wiki, but also resized/cropped to have all
the same sizes). Another thing is, that if we would do the wallpaper in
inkscape or blender, we could generate the PNGs/JPGs during the package
build. And git (or another SCM) is a nice way for keeping a log of
changes that are done to the sources from which we build. And of course
its much more transparent ;-)

Martin