[Design-team] About the Fedora Art Studio Spin

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Tue Aug 11 14:37:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 17:35 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 08/11/2009 04:24 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 15:26 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> >> Which does sound like a legit name/target. "Design" sounds a bit
> >> restrictive, but probably "Creativity" or "Art Studio" are more
> >> encompassing.
> >
> > We could do something where the whole enchilada is called the 'Fedora
> > Creativity Suite' and then different 'slices' of that could be different
> > studios eg vector gfx studio, 3d studio, audio studio, etc
>
> What is the goal? To keep the spin on a single CD, to keep it under 1GB,
> to minimize the clutter on the Applications menu?

Well, I think maybe it's more to cater to different artist types, e.g.,
I am primarily a 2D artist, I don't use 3D apps and I hardly ever use
video and audio editing tools. So if I could get a 2D art spin that fit
on a disc, took up less hdd space, and took less time to download it'd
be preferable to me... does that make sense? As a special bonus the
listing of spin names sort of serves as advertisement of what Fedora can
do...

Maybe it's a silly idea but I don't know if I'd want *everything* on an
initial install... but I would like it to be easier to get more of the
artsy tools, right now it's scavenger-hunt in yum and that's not fun.