[Design-team] About the Fedora Art Studio Spin

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Aug 12 06:11:08 UTC 2009

On 08/11/2009 05:37 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Well, I think maybe it's more to cater to different artist types, e.g.,
> I am primarily a 2D artist, I don't use 3D apps and I hardly ever use
> video and audio editing tools. So if I could get a 2D art spin that fit
> on a disc, took up less hdd space, and took less time to download it'd
> be preferable to me... does that make sense? As a special bonus the
> listing of spin names sort of serves as advertisement of what Fedora can
> do...

But wasn't it convenient at FUDCon to have Istanbul and PiTiVi handy and
easily record a screencast?

I think we have the risk to go in the opposite extreme: have more spins
and confuse the creative people not knowing which one of the creative
spins is best for them.

> Maybe it's a silly idea but I don't know if I'd want *everything* on an
> initial install... but I would like it to be easier to get more of the
> artsy tools, right now it's scavenger-hunt in yum and that's not fun.

When installing the spin, you won't get in Anaconda a step where you can
select/deselect some packages?