[Design-team] [OT] GIMP becoming too profi and thus will be excluded from Ubuntu distro

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 16:03:53 UTC 2009

> I am worried about this tendency, from both Fedora and Ubuntu, of
> dumbing-down the desktop spins: if Windows does not offer any useful
> application out-of-the-box,our key to success is NOT to lower to the
> same level and also offer nothing useful as the OOTB experience.

Out of the box, the Desktop spin offers:

- a web browser
- a mail/calendar/etc client
- a VoIP/video chat program
- a media/movie player
- a music library player
- a word processor
- a document viewer
- a photo viewr with simple editing

Especially with the move to many web-based services and applications,
I find that a far cry from 'does not offer any useful application', even
if one particular one you may prefer isn't on there.

Bill