[Design-team] [OT] GIMP becoming too profi and thus will be excluded from Ubuntu distro

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Dec 3 04:48:24 UTC 2009

El 02/12/09 19:08, Michael Beckwith escribió:

> To be fair, Nicu, and me going back to the version I know best....XP,
> Windows doesn't really offer a mail/calendar/etc client, voIP/video,
> word processor, or much of a photo viewer with simple editing, out of
> the box. Not sure where exactly to get Outlook, but it's not there by
> default. MS Word and Office in general is one of their real cash cows
> and they keep that seperate, video/VoIP you have to go download MSN
> Messenger. Regarding a browser, yeah they include IE but really the best
> use for that is downloading Firefox, which we offer by default.

I beg to disagree... I'm no M$ apologist, but XP is a longshot of their
*current* offerings. Besides, XP (for those netbooks that are still sold
with it) DOES offer media capabilities, browser and e-mail client,
Outlook Express is installed by default with XP.

Nowadays, though, and for the last two versions of Windows, Microsoft
has included more "functionality" into their software offerings:

 From XP to 7:

    * Basic word processing (what else if not is Wordpad?)
    * Image viewer (Fax-image viewer in XP, Windows Gallery in Vista/7)
    * Basic image editing (what else if not is Paint? Which from XP on
      supports saving as jpeg, png and gif)
    * Media player (WMP, anyone?) which supports library management, and
      is a music/video player.
    * IM/VoIP (XP DOES install by default MSN.
    * Web Browser (sure, IE is the lamest excuse of a browser, but a lot
      of people don't know better)

All of the above can be found in a default Windows install from XP
onward, and like I said, I'm no Windows apologist, but I'm not blind
either to what they do offer and what we offer in Fedora either, and the
exclusion of GIMP though a sensible loss for many, gives additional room
for other packages, functionality NOT found in XP (I can't speak for
Vista/7 in this regard, though), offered by default:

    * Gnote.
    * Cheese.
    * Dictionary.
    * Archive manager (sure, XP onward support viewing .zip files as
      "compressed folders", but limits to one type, and is no real
      "manager")
    * Tabbed file-browsing (Nautilus from 2.26 IIRC supports this).
    * Multiple virtual desktops (sure, a GNOME feature, but a feature
      nontheless :D)

Of course there IS room for improvement, and the real comparison
shouldn't be done against Windows IMHO, but against other Linux
distributions like OpenSuSE Live, Ubuntu, Mint, etc, and choose
accordingly (of course we'd never include proprietary drivers with the
Live images!)