[Design-team] [OT] GIMP becoming too profi and thus will be excluded from Ubuntu distro

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 15:32:55 UTC 2009

Nicu Buculei (nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro) said:
> See, next week I will give a presentation about Fedora at a local
> conference (the audience will probably be mostly university students,
> maybe CS students). I cant talk with a straight face about the 4
> foundations when:
> - freedom: when we indirectly suggest proprietary online apps (I was
> told so earlier in this thread);

We indirectly support proprietary offline apps too; we ship glibc,
which enables you to run many of them, gtk2 which is used by Acrobat and
Flash, etc. It's not their primary purpose, just as it's not the primary
purpose of the browser.

If you really think these are an attack on your freedom or the project
goals, I'm not sure how to help you, other than perhaps suggesting that
you contribute and help write some AGPL web service apps.

Bill