[Design-team] [OT] GIMP becoming too profi and thus will be excluded from Ubuntu distro

Kamisamanou Burgess kamisamanou at kamisamanou.net
Sat Dec 5 03:50:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 04:02, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:

> On 12/03/2009 08:52 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> >
> > E.g., to analogize (which you know I love to do :) ) - imagine I'm
> > setting out to open up a cute little neighborhood bakery that sells
> > pies, cakes, and cookies. I told my friends I am opening up a shop that
> > deals with food, but I wasn't specific in telling them my vision for it
> > was to be a cute little bakery. So they give me feedback, but they are
> > telling me things like I need to open up a bar with mixed drinks, and I
> > need to serve pizza and Indian curries as well, and I need to have cloth
> > napkins and a belly dancer and play country music. It doesn't make sense
> > for me to then open up a cute little bake shop with a bar and a belly
> > dancer - but if it turns out a bar with a belly dancer is a good idea
> > and there's a market demand for it, maybe I could open up a different
> > shop to attract those customers.
>
> Playing with analogies seems fun (as long as they are not car analogies
> :D), let me try to play  along: your little food shop is the main income
> source for your family and people in your family come to you saying: we
> live in a health conscious neighborhood, if you continue selling
> hamburgers nobody will buy it and you will go bankrupt, go for salads
> instead. Of course you can hold on your idea, hoping the cheap, greasy
> food will find enough customers (I don't know, maybe truckers passing
> by, but no loyal, returning customers) but your decision will have
> effects over your entire family (remember, it was their main income
> source), so probably having an agreement may be wise.
>
> Or we can talk about your cute little neighborhood bakery selling pies,
> cakes, and cookies. Supposedly a big chain opened a fast-food across the
> street and is selling in droves. Jealous of their profitability  and
> wanting more money and customers, your decide to change your business
> and go also fast-food. Your existing, loyal, returning customers, who
> became your friends, tell you they don't like fast-food, they come to
> your shop for the quality and the atmosphere and also point there is no
> much sense in having two fast-food shops so close to each other. Sure,
> you can try and go for profit alone, you can stay only with your friends
> or you can try to find a middle ground.
>
> --
> nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/

As far as I'm concerned I think that The GIMP should be included on the
install DVD. I am not a big guru of digital art, but the GIMP is the first
place I turn to when I have to edit an image.

Also, I thought the Fedora Project was geared toward power users. This is
half of the reason that I use Fedora over Ubuntu. If I wanted my hand held,
I would use Ubuntu or Windows. Furthermore, I don't think you can really
expect a near bleeding edge operating system to cater to the same audience
as Ubuntu. These are, of course, my humble opinions, respectfully submitted.

--

Sayonara,
Kamisamanou Burgess