[Design-team] [Echo Project] We have new mailing list

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 21:23:01 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 17:04 +0100, wonderer wrote:
> Hy Martin,
>
> may I ask why there is a mailinglist for a theme? maybe I'm wrong but
> I think it could be better to discuss all design things on ONE
> Mailinglist ... why is there a dedicated one for a single theme? Is
> that theme so important or will there be much mail-traffic?
> Maybe I missed something, can you tell me please?! Thanks.

Well, technically speaking it's a whole project on its own and up until
now we've used to discuss things partly in private (inconvenient),
partly on design-team list and partly on irc... As we discuss every new
icon that gets created before it's imported into git, guidelines changes
and various other things not directly related to fedora design team, we
prefer to have our own mailing list. Although our designers are part of
the fedora design team and the echo-icon-theme was originally created as
a personal project of red hat employee for fedora uses, we prefer it be
a "project on its own", independent on the fedora design team, gnome art
team and other teams that also develop icons.

But to also answer some of your other questions, ideally it would create
much mail traffic, however current contributions are rather
sparse :( And no, it's not "so important to have its own mailing list"
but the workflow we use definitely needs a mailing list and as we'd like
it to be independent on fedora (although we aim for it to be fedora
default in distant feature), we need a central distro agnostic one.

Martin