[Design-team] Opinion on Logo usage?

Ian Weller ian at ianweller.org
Tue Dec 22 06:40:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 09:51:10PM -0700, Ryan Rix wrote:
> Hey everyone;
>
> I need some advice on how to use the Fedora logo. According to
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines it's okay to use change
> the typeface of the Fedora text to white if the color backing it is Fedora
> blue (under "Never Use the Logo on Similarly-Colored Backgrounds"); Now, if I
> wanted put the logo on top of the Constantine wallpaper, the contrast is very
> bad, and nearly illegible, since it's very close to Pantone 2935 in many
> places.
>
> Would it be a grey area to make the Fedora typeface white in this case? See
> [1] for a screenshot of what we are talking about.. What would be the best way
> to do this?

CCing design-team's list -- good idea to ask logo-related questions
there.

It's definitely recommended to make the Fedora typeface white in this
case -- if you can't read "Fedora" without squinting, change it.

> The code currently loads the png from /usr/share/pixmaps/fedora-logo-small.png
> and generates the "Welcome to" text from MgOpen Modata Bold in the same
> Panotone 2935 of the logo typeface. If the logo typeface was made white, it
> would constitute keeping a separate image in the Fedora-tour data directory or
> adding another image to the fedora-logos package, I'd assume? The former is
> not a Good Thing, and the latter would probably take some intervention with
> Fedora-legal? I'm not sure of the details, tbh. What are everyone's thoughts?
> Any workarounds come to mind?

Filing a bug against fedora-logos and attaching the proposed PNG with a
rationale would probably do the trick.

--
Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org>