[Design-team] First Design Suite Build

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Tue Dec 22 10:29:31 UTC 2009

Merging responses for Nicu's last two replies...

> I am not an expert in this either but, if I understand correctly, the
> most of the job is to create a kickstart file with a good selection of
> packages. We do a few experimental builds to see if is not horribly
> broken and then try to "sell" it to the build system so it is taken care
> of automatically: http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/

Looking again at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design_Suite#Upcoming_milestones, we
should probably set a date by which everything that wants to be
considered for inclusion in the kickstart file to be packaged, and then
another to freeze the kickstart's package list (after testing those
packages).

It looks like the Design Studio will bring up some interesting questions
while it's being made - things like "what's the line between content and
software?" (do brushes count, etc) and how should the various things
(whatever they are) we want be delivered via the Design Suite?
(packages? webpages? packages of bookmarks to webpages? packages of
sampe content?) So it's a good idea to leave plenty of time for those
conversations and questions to be resolved.

 > I think before significant marketing we should clarify the vision and
 > the target, go beyond the generic "professional designers". I bet even
 > us, inside the Design Team, have various expectations from a
"perfect" spin.

Yep. My current working definition for open source marketing is that
it's much more than "just" PR - it's "the community-driven process
responsible for enabling users to identify, anticipate, and satisfy
their own requirements sustainably[0]" so the "identify" part is what
I'm thinking about right now, and what I'm here in Design to learn. ;)

/me drops back to watch the process of designers designing something for
themselves. Yay, meta!

--Mel

[0] this is a modification of the Chartered Institute of Marketing's
definition of marketing,
http://www.cim.co.uk/resources/understandingmarket/definitionmkting.aspx, which
is "the management process responsible for identifying, anticipating and
satisfying customer requirements profitably."