[Design-team] Mosaic Ideas

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 08:43:49 UTC 2009

Hi!

On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 22:53 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Thanks for the work! I think posting these really helps to keep up the
> momentum on the f12 design work.
>
> Like Luya said, we shouldn't use the Fedora logo, but this one works
> great and does not have the logo:
>
> http://tatica.fedorapeople.org/Fedora-LATAM/wallpaper-mosaico2.png

+1

> I think these works are a very good start start; I think the shading and
> coloring on mosaico2 is very suitable for a background. It's not too
> high-contrast, or stark, or distracting which is good for a wallpaper.
+1

> - maybe try for the design to be 'higher resolution' - e.g., make the
> tiles smaller and have more of them, see how far you can push it without
> making it distracting to see if it will work.

I actually think that smaller tiles might help with making it more
usable. As they are now, they are approximately the same size as icons,
which might be distracting. We would need to try it in real environment
to see which is better.

> - maybe try to screen some of the four f's designs (the gears, the
> people, the trophy, the wings) onto some of the square tiles) ? See if
> that works.

+1

Also as nicu noted, it might be good to shift the center of attention
away from the optical center. He suggested rule of thirds, golden ratio
might be another alternative.

I would perhaps make the design more random as a next step.

Martin