[Design-team] Hi again... I'm still trying...

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Thu Jul 9 03:50:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 17:34 -0500, bm90fox wrote:
> Taking on account your last comunication, I has been changed the
> concept for the label of F12, and here is:

Issues with the design that still remain - only a couple have been
address. These same problems I cited before are still there:

- we have had a general rule for a long time now that we don't put
release names in the artwork, the release name is here.

- the usage of the Fedora logo mark as a border violates multiple logo
usage rules :)

- you can't use a keyline around the Fedora logomark either - logo
guidelines rule. you still have this.

- it doesn't look like the 'Constantine' typeface is still not the
correct one, but either way it is not a good idea to have English text
in the artwork as it requires translation, nor is it good to mark
artwork with a particular release as it dates it for people who may want
to use the artwork it later releases.

This introduces a few new issues as well:

- the background of the fedora logo is a blue square that does not match
the grid pattern behind it.

- the fedora logo artwork looks like it was blown up from a lower
resolution so it is pixelated and of poor quality.

Overall, I question what goal you are trying to achieve with this
artwork. I don't get any kind of message or feeling from it - what
message are you trying to communicate?

>From a usability perspective, the background pattern is very noisy and
vibrates a lot of my monitor, and I do not think such a high-contrast,
vibrating pattern is very suitable for a background artwork piece as
it's distracting.