[Design-team] Solang ticket

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Tue Jul 14 13:47:26 UTC 2009

Hi Angie!

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 08:31 -0500, angella inzinga wrote:
> I am working with the Solang group for a help->about page, and icons.
> They requested simple and stylish, and a few weeks ago I gave them a
> few designs to pick from (I was really just trying to refine what
> direction 'simple and stylish' they wanted to go). The wiki I read for
> this group asks that logo work get sent into the community for review,
> so here's what I hope to submit. Topbar 2 in a 48X48. Topbar 128 is
> bigger, clearer. The last one is the help->about image.

I really like your work! The one concern I have is with your color
palette - you may want to modify it to match the default
gnome-icon-theme better. I think if you modify the colors to be a little
bit softer and maybe use dark grey rather than black outlines (and round
the corners a bit as you suggested) with a white inner outline and make
the polaroid white areas a bit of a light grey so the white outline
stands out - I think that'll make the icons fit in a bit better with the
rest of Fedora's icons. I've attached an example of what I mean. (I
didn't modify the colors at all but I tried to make them more
gnome-icon-theme like otherwise)

> They chose the crisp and flat polaroid design, not a more distressed
> one. I still think I need to soften the corners, tho. But other than
> that I think they are OK? I don't know, this is my first attempt at
> logo design. All files have a .svg and a .gif, but are terribly
> disorganized at the moment and I just attached whatever I found first.
> Some constructive feedback would be awesome. (including if there is a
> better way you like to have files sent around???)

Attaching files to your email is fine as these are relatively small
files.

Some things I noticed about your svg -

- it says it's 128 but it's not, it's more like 1000x700 or something
like that

- a lot of your shapes were not aligned to the pixel grid or at integer
sizes. you want to make sure your shapes aren't floating point height or
width and that they are at integer (.000) x and y coordinates so they
align to the pixel grid and don't get blurry. this is especially
important for smaller icon sizes.

- a lot of your shapes did not have strokes but instead were layered
fill shapes. using strokes tends to be a lot easier to work with.

Hope this helps - thanks for your work!