[Design-team] Constantine theme mockup

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 15:27:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 17:01 +0200, Samuele Storari wrote:
> Yes I know.
>
> But my question is: we can or we can't?
> 'Cause I really prefer bitmap for wallpaper, but if I can't i willn't.
>
> Samuele

Well, to make the story short, we have had a terrible experience in past
with bitmap wallpapers -- yeah, they are cool and everything, but people
just don't waste their time on downloading 100MB xcf whose editing is as
much time consuming (when I helped with the Solar and the Lion ones,
just turning on or off layers took ages)... The bad result of choosing
the bitmap way has always been Mo's all-nighters and frustration and we
certainly don't want to end up with that again...

No-one can stop you from working on bitmap wallpaper though (we are
project based on contributions after all) and if you manage to get
people on it working soon enough to finish it in time, go for it, but
it's much more likely that people will work on SVG based design and we
cannot grant that your work will be the final one (but considering how
great your works were in past, it would be definitely included minimally
in the wallpaper extras).

It's also easier to make SVG based stuff that is good for default
wallpaper (i.e. the icons are easily recognizable on it) than
photo-manipulation based ones.

At least, that's my understanding how things are now :-D

Martin