[Design-team] We have a gallery2 test instance

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Jul 20 13:54:10 UTC 2009

On 07/13/2009 06:12 PM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 07/09/2009 03:00 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>
> OK, those interested in testing the Gallery2 functionality ask me or Mo
> for an account.
>
> I just uploaded an image to make sure it is working:
> http://publictest7.fedoraproject.org/gallery2/

OK, here are a few of my impressions after about one week with Gallery:

- the current authentication is a killer: it don't scale to have admins
adding accounts for every user, even more considering our plans to
increase the contributors base and make easy for everyone. In an ideal
world, people would be able to login using the FAS and have their rights
provided by FAS (this *may* be possible, AFAIK Gallery2 is integrated
for authentication with all finds of forum and portal software);

- is not easy to mass upload, the only way in our instance is tu upload
ZIPs of all your files. There are alternate ways, like using WebDAV, but
our install does not have the plugin;

- speaking of plugins, there are only a few available, we lack some for
things like layout customization. I wonder if we should try to act as
admins and install plugins as we like (well, it impossible anyway
without direct access to the server) or consult with the Infrastructure
people (a saner, but more bureaucratic approach);

- some operations are cumbersome: for example adding keywords and
browsing based on keywords. I wonder if installing some plugins would
make for a better experience;

- I don't see a way to browse for things like 'best rated' and I wonder
again: we need plugins?

Normally I would have asked for other people opinions, but I see only
very few of us played with the gallery, which make me doubt it is a
popular/useful/wanted feature (but deep inside I still think a gallery
would be good for us).