[Design-team] Proposal for wallpaper to Constantine

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Fri Jul 24 18:28:33 UTC 2009

Hi Jayme!

These are very nice works - I've some quick feedback below:

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 15:16 -0300, Jayme Ayres wrote:
> Hello Folks!
>
> I would like to propose an art to the wallpaper of the F12. I was
> researching the name "Constantine" and with this there are many ways
> to conceptualize an art for the code. As I like to work with bitmaps
> (and I know that is a little problematic to work with this format,
> because the final file size) then decided to make 2 collage of photos
> I found in Stock.XCHNG and Flikr.
> http://jaymeayres.fedorapeople.org/f12/fedora-wall-jayme-I.jpg

- I think maybe the walled obelisk is a bit obscure a reference that
most users won't understand unless they dig for the info

- What are the laser beams / light rays? What are they meant to
symbolize? Why is one blue, one orange? I almost feel the composition
would be stronger without them... they seem a different kind of style
(smooth bright) than the rest of the image (faded, gritty, worn) and it
kind of clashes doesn't it?

- I love the little light balls swirling around the obelisk - it's
simply a very pretty effect - but again I am not sure it works with the
rest of the composition the way it stands now. I'd love to see a
wallpaper with these light balls in it though.

- I really like how you've brought a warm color, purple, into the
wallpaper. We usually have blue which is very cold, purple being an
analogous color is something we've tried to work in before, I would like
to see it happen sometime.

> http://jaymeayres.fedorapeople.org/f12/fedora-wall-jayme-II.jpg

- I have the same concern here about the clash between the classical /
gritty / faded / photorealistic artwork & the very vector-like, bright,
and smooth light beams.

- why are the beams blue? why are they surrounding the gate?

One thing that concerns me about both wallpapers as well as they have a
similar texture/grittiness to them as the Fedora 11 wallpaper. So I
would worry maybe perhaps folks would think it is too close to what we
have for F11.

In general I think the method of taking a photo of an object affiliated
with the theme codename, especially if it's an obscure connection, and
building a wallpaper around that is too literal a way to interpret the
theme. I think it's better to think about more abstract ideas and themes
that come from a bit of deeper background on the codename (like we had
talked before about some thematic ideas to build a visual interpretation
of:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-June/000299.html)

Because of this, I'm not sure how to suggest a path forward for these
works. :-/ Perhaps take a more thematic idea around constantine and
apply some of the light beam / glow balls towards an interpretation of
it?

Overall, these are beautifully rendered works! I just worry about the
concept and the message (or lack thereof) they would send to users.