[Design-team] Wallpaper proposal: mosaic glow

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Tue Jul 28 18:04:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 14:56 -0300, Rodrigo Padula de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 28-07-2009 14:39, Máirín Duffy escreveu:
> > On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 14:34 -0300, Rodrigo Padula de Oliveira wrote:
> >> The wallpaper must have a icon that represents the name, I guess.
> >
> > Actually we have no such rule for the artwork.
>
> Yes I know, but it helps to create a visual identity for the release.
> With it we can create a Media Art, Web Banners using the same concept.

Rodrigo, it isn't necessary to base a theme on a physical object to
create a visual identity. For example, there are many brands out there
that have strong visual identities that are based on abstract designs
and/or patterns. For example, 37signals has a very distinctive and
recognizable brand identity, but it's not focused on a lion, a chia pet,
an airplane, or an umbrella. Same goes for Starbucks (very strong visual
identity that uses a lot of abstracted folk art), Adidas (their main
visual identity is based on three abstract stripes), JetBlue (very
distinctive brand identify involving analogous shades of blue and violet
in various vector-based patterns) etc. etc. etc. I really could go on,
but let's not.

> >> Like the "Constantine I" statue, Pilar or gate proposed by Jayme or the
> >> Lion proposed for Fedora 11 by Samuele.
> >
> > If you must associate the wallpaper with a noun (which I think is bad
> > practice) it is very clearly a mosaic, so you could say "Mosaic."
>
> Humm. IMHO it's important and is a good practice

Your opinion has been noted.

> We dont have a theme for each Fedora Release or bi desktop changes, so,
> we need to stamp the Fedora release name in the Wallpaper using a
> visible concept/icon.

I really don't follow your rationale. Let's continue this conversation
in a different thread if you really feel the need.