[Design-team] The default theme for F12

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 20:32:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 15:17 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> we've been discussing the idea of changing the default GTK+/Metacity
> theme in F12. Nodoka has been the default for a while, and it seems to
> undergo a major rework now ( http://mso-chronicles.blogspot.com/ ).
>
> We don't want to do a radical visual change, though. The idea is to go
> back to the upstream default, Clearlooks.
>
> Let me know what you think.
> I'd like to make this change for the alpha.
>

> Matthias

Hi,

The rework is going to take a unspecified (and probably rather long)
amount of time (I work on it when I have spare time and feel like
working on it, and apart from the buttons, I don't even have the design
fully prepared) and it will be just another option. It definitely won't
be in Fedora 12 and I won't even push it to Fedora (even rawhide, due to
the nature of development) until it is both feature complete and well
tested. The current style (with possible minor updates) will stay
available in a similar way like Clearlooks engine provides e.g. CLASSIC
style. Also, some of the goals are to prepare for possible changes in
widget theming in Gtk3 and making it easier to create QT4 variant of the
theme.

As an author of the engine, I'd be biased in the opinion whether to use
Clearlooks or Nodoka in F12, so I can only assure you that Nodoka will
stay same in F12 as is in F11 (sans progress-entry support used e.g. in
Rawhide's Epiphany and some minor fixes here and there).

If you don't want radical visual changes, stay with Nodoka for F12, and
when the rework gets completed we can reevaluate whether we want to stay
with "classic" Nodoka, go with the updated Nodoka, or revert to
Clearlooks (or whatever will be the upstream default by then).

Martin