[Design-team] The default theme for F12

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Jul 31 21:36:44 UTC 2009

> Matthias Clasen (mclasen at redhat.com) said:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > we've been discussing the idea of changing the default GTK+/Metacity
> > theme in F12. Nodoka has been the default for a while, and it seems to
> > undergo a major rework now ( http://mso-chronicles.blogspot.com/ ).
> >
> > We don't want to do a radical visual change, though. The idea is to go
> > back to the upstream default, Clearlooks.
>
> Well, that would still be a visual change. Given that he's restarting
> nodoka from scratch, that would leave the options as being either:
> - go to clearlooks
> - stay with the old nodoka version
> ?

I see that I should have phrased this better...

What I meant to covey is: we _do_ want some visual change, e.g. get rid
of some small annoyances in the current default theme, such as the
dotted lines in treeviews.

But as far as change goes, it is probably fine to keep it subtle (like
going to Clearlooks) and not radical, like Lennart proposes (pick a dark
default theme).

> Also, would we be changing the icon set?

I don't think think we have readily available options here. gnome-colors
is popular and has a nice blue variant, but it is not packaged for
Fedora atm.
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562