[Design-team] F12 names and themeability

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 14:53:38 UTC 2009

Hi Nicu!

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 04:57:35PM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 06/02/2009 03:24 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> I will take them one by one and emit some quick ideas:

Thank you for brainstorming these -- that makes me feel better that
there are fewer names where the Design Team would later worry, "This
name's awful, we can't theme this!"  I can't wait to see what other
Designers are thinking too.

> > Goliath
>
> Power, might, crushing everything around. But is it a good idea?
> Ultimately Goliath was a loser, defeated by David.

I think this is a poor name myself, but it met the other criteria; I
may have to exert some executive power and pull it from the list
before sending to Legal.  One could argue I should have done that
before.  I did a lot of name vetting, and asked for the Board members'
assistance, but we still ended up with 82 names under consideration by
the Board.  Obviously we already missed "Skywalker," and arguably
missed one or two others that should have been dropped.  Mea culpa!

> > Rugosa
>
> I think it may be interesting to have a floral theme, with roses and
> stuff. We can claim the girls temporarily overpowered the geeks at Fedora.

Blue roses would be beautiful.
http://images.google.com/images?q=blue+roses (warning: may not be CC licensed)

> > Adamastor
>
> I have the same concern as for Hippokoon

Yes, the Hippokoon and Adamastor names seem to be difficult to link
out as well.

> > Orville
>
> It may be interesting to have a graphic theme about music and shout
> "Fedora 12 rocks!"

Blue guitars would be beautiful.
http://images.google.com/images?q=blue+guitar (warning: may not be CC licensed)

> > Elvis
>
> To go with "music" would be to obvious, we can try something like "is
> not dead!"

Wait, young sexy Elvis, or old fat Elvis? :-D

> > Cimrman
>
> The Czech character is, IMHO, a bit obscure for an international
> audience so we may have to go here with the astronomy thing.

I really liked this name... And I'm sure if this ends up on the list
we'll have many votes coming in from the Red Hat offices in Brno,
where there are many Fedora contributors!  I found the history of the
Cimrman character fascinating, and it plays into the way that FLOSS is
somewhat subversive, yet entertaining and plays a big part in emergent
culture.

> > Alexander
>
> I would liked more to have in the suggestion list some references for
> secondary meanings, we know is a common name, was a Greek king...
> something else to try than the same old Greek theme.

Someone brought up the helmet as an interesting design element for
Leonidas -- maybe that's worth investigating further.  I'm not sure
how much I dig this name; I think it's not "unique" enough to capture
many votes, but the community will decide.

> > Stradivari
>
> Music, classic, fine art.

I like this music motif... :-)