[Design-team] F12 names and themeability

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 12:42:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 09:29:22AM +0200, Joost Elfering wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 7:54 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
>
>     On 06/02/2009 08:06 PM, Joost Elfering wrote:
>     > On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>     >
>     >     Quetzalcoatl
>     >
>     > -1: hard to pronounce, remember and write about.
>
>     But we were asked here only about themeability, the large community will
>     hold a vote and determine which one is a good name.
>     I also have no idea how to pronounce Quetzalcoatl, but I think it may
>     give an opportunity for some cool graphics.
>
> true,
>
> but i can still give my opinion about it ;-). I have been in some naming
> processes before and I think this does not meet the requirements for a good
> name. should we invest time in names that should never make the final
> selection.

The amount of time required here is very low, so I would say it's well
spent. :-)  Remember that we're just discussing themeability, not
actually asking people to design things yet.  Once the community
decides on a name, we'll be able to proceed with the step that
actually takes considerable time. ;-)

As for pronunciation, I think that "Bordeaux" and arguably "Tettnang"
fall into the same category as "Quetzalcoatl."  (I remember first
encountering this name as a young boy and I thought it was really cool
then, so I'm happy to see it on this list.)