[Design-team] Building Brand Together

William Jon McCann william.jon.mccann at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 22:47:07 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> gnu boi wrote:
>> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/06/building-brand-together.html
>
> As I already wrote on IRC, I don't think this offer is of much value to
> Fedora at this point because we don't have our logo in the wallpaper anyway
> (to make things easier for remixes and other derived distributions). So if
> we really wanted to ship upstream wallpapers, we could just ship them as
> they are, there's no need to have upstream spend time on rebranding them.
> We have other reasons for using our own default wallpapers (e.g.
> consistency across the multiple desktops we ship, and also GRUB, Plymouth
> etc.).
>
> There are also other issues, like what to do when we upgrade KDE to a new
> version: do we allow the default wallpaper to change in the middle of a
> Fedora release? Do we stay with the old one, shipping e.g. KDE 4.4 with the
> KDE 4.3 default wallpaper?

If I were working on a KDE desktop that is based on Fedora packages
the first thing I would do is make sure I differentiate it from Fedora
since Fedora is a GNOME based project - and that is not going to
change.  First thing I would do is give it a name.  Having a different
name does a few things for you: it gives you search engine exposure,
it allows people to actually talk about your project, it makes it
clear that it is different from what people expect from Fedora, and it
allows you to build your own brand identity.  This is not a new idea -
Kubuntu has been doing this for years now.

Eventually, the Fedora board will realize that today's conception of
spins is a failed experiment and force this change.  I'd encourage
projects based on Fedora to do this voluntarily before this occurs.

Jon