[Design-team] The Theme

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 10:40:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 13:08 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 06/19/2009 12:46 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 09:42 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> >> - a huge gallery with *everything* available online, where people can
> >> browse with Firefox and use it's "set image as desktop background" option.
> > I wonder if we could integrate it into the desktop even more. Yeah, we
> > can for example add wallpaper extras page to our default bookmarks but
>
> Adding the gallery inside the wiki is not friendly for users, especially
> if we plan  to have a lot more images, we would need something with
> browsing and search capabilities, like a proper gallery software.

I was speaking in general. The wiki is really not very friendly for
this...

> > I'd like this to not be tied to firefox. It's not default on KDE spin,
> > on XFCE Spin it seems Midori will be the default (not sure what's the
> > default now), I am not sure about LXDE, etc. Yeah, we can start with
> > firefox because it already has this somehow implemented (how does it
> > work in various environments? I haven't actually ever tried it, so I
>
> It is not tied to Firefox, all popular browser have something like this,
> Epiphany has it, even Internet Explorer on Windows has it...

Midori does not have it, or at least I don't see such option
anywhere ;-)

> I would like the large galley to be accessible with just a browser, so
> even people on Windows can benefit from it (we can have on top of that
> some specialized tools, with RSS and stuff).

I'd like to have it both accessible from browser as well as from
elsewhere. While browser makes it easy to set it for your background,
you'd need another application to set it for gdm as well,... Think also
about uploading - the app could handle both. Just like there are both
people using webmail and people using client for their e-mail, there
definitely will be people preferring to upload their images via web
browser, as well as people wanting some desktop client to do that and
the same goes for the other way round (downloading and setting it as
background).

While web-browser can only download and set it as your background, the
client can be much more powerful in that it can in principle offer to
make the background available for all users, set it as default, display
images from more locations at once (think e.g. art.gnome.org), do some
dynamic sorting based on the image tags (usually faster/more convenient
than dynamic web pages), cache the thumbnails (so that you need to
download only new/changed thumbnails), ...

Martin