[Design-team] Development of DIY Folding Media Sleeve

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 20:36:25 UTC 2009

> Thanks Nicu,
> I have repeated the design using Inkscape.  I tried opening it with
> Scribus and got undesirable results, so beware.  I have uploaded the SVG
> & SVGZ files for contributions.  The low-res logos were for reference,
> they will not display in the uploaded versions (linked). I don't know
> how long it takes to get a vector version of the logos (in the queue).
> A sample of my version (jpg) is available for reference.
>
> Thanks for the lead on MgOpen, very cool.  Open-source really delivers.
> NEW UPLOADS HERE: http://fedoradesigns.twohotis.fastmail.fm/

Hello Onyeibo Oku, thank you for your contribution!  Many thanks for
the other suggestions as well.  This is a wonderful first project for
me to contribute as I think there will be immediate value to end
users.  Unfortunately my first post
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-September/001041.html
wasn't complete.

I just emailed logo@ to get a proper SVG logo for using with Scribus.
The 1.3.3 version I'm using has trouble with the non-standard SVG that
I downloaded from http://fedoradesigns.twohotis.fastmail.fm/ - I think
in part because the images are not embedded.  The source files would
be very helpful.  Using Inkscape 0.47 I get the following errors:
** (inkscape:10108): WARNING **: Unable to open linked file:
/home/t2hot/inkscape_pasted_image_20090922_083418.png
** (inkscape:10108): WARNING **: Unable to open linked file:
/home/t2hot/Documents/inkscape_pasted_image_20090922_085318.png
** (inkscape:10108): WARNING **: Unable to open linked file:
/home/t2hot/Documents/inkscape_pasted_image_20090922_085504.png
** (inkscape:10108): WARNING **: Unable to open linked file:
/home/t2hot/Documents/inkscape_pasted_image_20090922_091443.png

>nicu wrote:
>> Please also include the source files, so other people in the team can
>> work with them, build on them, make derivatives. And please, have those
>> sources in a format we can use (for example Scribus, not Corel, which
>> seems to be your case).

Onyeibo, have you tried to print out and use your version?  I have
successfully used many paper sleeves for myself and others. The
designed should be easy to create without using any glue, staples,
tape, scissors, etc.  The folding design shown
http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2005-02-13_oragamicdholder.php
is excellent.

One note on this artwork is that the fold and how to open the sleeve
is needed as end users can be baffled by the sheer cleverness of the
folding design the first time they see it.  When I am using the CD as
a guide to fold and writing the cover by hand I usually put "open
here" on the lip of the paper where the flap folds into.

I will begin work on a new design including all the feedback so far.
Having a design that can be used across different versions of Fedora
will be helpful for volunteers so that new artwork will not be
required for each release, though of course derivatives are possible
with each release's artwork.

I did not see a clear place to create a wiki page below
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork so I created this page which I
hope will be moved to some place more official later.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Grantbow/DiySleeve

I look forward to working with you,

Grant Bowman
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors