[Design-team] Fwd: Re: Development of DIY Folding Media Sleeve

twohotis at fastmail.fm twohotis at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 10 00:05:20 UTC 2009

Dear Grant

See comments interspersed with yours:

> I just emailed logo@ to get a proper SVG logo for using with Scribus.
> The 1.3.3 version I'm using has trouble with the non-standard SVG that
> I downloaded from http://fedoradesigns.twohotis.fastmail.fm/ - I think
> in part because the images are not embedded.  The source files would
> be very helpful.  Using Inkscape 0.47 I get the following errors:
> ** (inkscape:10108): WARNING **: Unable to open linked file:
> /home/t2hot/inkscape_pasted_image_20090922_083418.png
> ** (inkscape:10108): WARNING **: Unable to open linked file:
> /home/t2hot/Documents/inkscape_pasted_image_20090922_085318.png
> ** (inkscape:10108): WARNING **: Unable to open linked file:
> /home/t2hot/Documents/inkscape_pasted_image_20090922_085504.png
> ** (inkscape:10108): WARNING **: Unable to open linked file:
> /home/t2hot/Documents/inkscape_pasted_image_20090922_091443.png

I'm sorry you had to go through that process -- my fault.  Actually, I
received approval and copies of the fedora logos shortly after uploading
that version.  I've also updated the design to include the approved
logos.  You will find them here:
http://fedoradesigns.twohotis.fastmail.fm/. Let me know if this meets
your needs.

> Onyeibo, have you tried to print out and use your version?  I have
> successfully used many paper sleeves for myself and others. The
> designed should be easy to create without using any glue, staples,
> tape, scissors, etc.  The folding design shown
> http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2005-02-13_oragamicdholder.php
> is excellent.

No, I've not attempted to print-out the design but everything was done
with precision and life-size dimensions (trusting that the Inkscape
rulers are accurate). Our design (so far) evolved from your initial job
description which referenced an Ubuntu DIY sleeve.  I only made the fold
simpler.  The present solution should go well on Cardboard, Photo paper
and art paper.  Glue and Scissors are inevitable.  I followed your link
and checked out the origami ... interesting concept.  However, I suspect
the use of a regular 60-80gms A4 paper there.  Those don't always
respond well, especially if we want designs that have gradients and
fills ... and we're running prints with inkjet printers.  I'll try the
origami on Cardboard and assess the outcome.

> One note on this artwork is that the fold and how to open the sleeve
> is needed as end users can be baffled by the sheer cleverness of the
> folding design the first time they see it.  When I am using the CD as
> a guide to fold and writing the cover by hand I usually put "open
> here" on the lip of the paper where the flap folds into.

http://www.tgries.de/origami/CD-A4-Thomas-Hull.pdf provides a better
description of the same fold.  Sure, we could include some 'mini' fold
notes.

> I will begin work on a new design including all the feedback so far.
> Having a design that can be used across different versions of Fedora
> will be helpful for volunteers so that new artwork will not be
> required for each release, though of course derivatives are possible
> with each release's artwork.
>
> I did not see a clear place to create a wiki page below
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork so I created this page which I
> hope will be moved to some place more official later.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Grantbow/DiySleeve

Wow! I'm not sure that is the right way to go about this.  It might be
necessary to consult the old-timers on how they published project
progress and reports. You might want to consider publishing 1-3 folding
alternatives with our final designs ... and leave the choosing to the
Users.

> I look forward to working with you,
>
> Grant Bowman
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors