[Design-team] CD/DVD cover design question

Luya Tshimbalanga luya at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 12 22:45:18 UTC 2009

On 11/12/2009 10:28 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi Luya,
>
> On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 15:34 -0800, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
>> rking on F12 artwork. As you have read my discussion with Bill, I
>> included minimum requirement as template. There are some tweaking like
>> visible Fedora logo and some layouts.
>> In addition, I am planning to add Fudcon logo (need the source svg
>> version) to match the event.
>
> I took 4 hours today to finalize the sleeve and label designs since I've
> been asked by a number of people where they are, and that they need them
> yesterday (sigh.)

Wow, thank you for completing the design.
> First I wanted to point at the finalized artwork:
>
> Fedora wiki:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/MediaArt/F12
>
> Design team shared drive:
> http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/Resources/Fedora%20Release%
> 20Themes/F12/Media%20Artwork/
>
> I would also like to outline the changes I made to the sleeves, Luya,
> for your own reference so you understand why I made them:
>
> - I think adding minimum requirements to the sleeve is great. After
> talking with Chris Lumens and Bill Nottingham in IRC this morning,
> though, it turns out that the text-only requirement was really meant for
> text-only anaconda, and that text-only anaconda isn't really supported
> at all. So we all agreed to drop the text-only requirement as we would
> rather not people go through text-only Fedora for the best experience.
> (And if someone really needs to they are expert enough to not need the
> line of information on the sleeve. They know where to find out.)

I was surprised that detail was not included on previous sleeve release
and nobody complained about it.
Dropping text-only requirement is logical as well.
> - The background in your mockups was squished vertically which looked a
> little odd. When I tried to stretch it back out, there was not enough
> contrast to have a Fedora logo on the back. So I removed the Fedora logo
> on the back, but then I had trouble placing it on the front. The large
> 12 and the Fedora logo competed for attention.
I initially thought using white glow around symbol but your approach is
better.
> - I didn't like the alignment of the large 12 with the text - 'Install
> DVD' for example wass aligned to the bottom part of the '1', but
> 'Fedora' is aligned to the top of the '1' so there's a weird diagonal
> alignment going on that looked a little awkward.
>
> - I decided to drop the large '12' in favor of a smaller one, so the
> Fedora logo wasn't competing with it and so the alignment of everything
> was a little bit neater.
I just realized that but you have beaten me on that one. =)

> - I matched the architecture lines on the front and back of the sleeve
> so now they read exactly the same.
>
> - I converted the 'join.fpo' and 'install dvd' etc text from paths back
> to real text so in the future we can use the same template for the
> sleeve.
>
> - There were quite a few empty / stray polygons and text boxes in the
> file. They gave rendering errors when I tried to export to PDF. I
> removed them, and labeled all of the objects in the file for easy
> reference (a directory of objects by name is available in the Scribus
> 'outline' dialog as I learned)

Excellent.

- --
Luya Tshimbalanga