[Design-team] Still need help on the Games Spin Screenshots :)

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Nov 27 07:19:35 UTC 2009

On 11/27/2009 05:38 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> 1) 'I like games! What games are in Fedora? I want to take a look and
> get a feel for them' - I think this may be the majority case, because if
> they were seeking Game X they'd search for the upstream site. So we want
> to enable rapid browsing without a particular goal game in mind.
>
> 2) 'Does Fedora have Game X?' I think this may be a less common one but
> still possible.
>
> 3) 'Wow, 127 games. I want to get the few best games and not waste my
> time on games that are no good.'
>
> Can you think of any other scenarios?

The scenario interesting me the most is 'what games are available in my
favorite genre?' which is probably a subcase of 1)

> - Categorical organization is a wonderful idea for #1 because they can
> get a feel for the type of games by reading the category names and dive
> deeper only into the ones that best interest them. For these folks too,
> maybe some spotlight content on particular games would be good.
> Categories also chunk the very long list of games into smaller, more
> manageable chunks so it's overall a great solution.

Indeed, this is very important. We should keep in mind a game can be in
more than one category, for example if we go with genres as categories,
Wensoth would be both in "strategy" and "rpg".
We can go instead for tagging and navigate by tags, so the same Wesnoth
would be "strategy", "rpg", "fantasy", "turn-based", "single player",
"multiplayer", etc.

> - The alphabetized navigation is less important, because search is
> easier to use if you know the game you want, and if you don't, category
> is more fun to look through. If we drop those tabs we lose 5 tabs making
> the UI much simpler (thus easier to grok!)

However, I would like to also provide a flat list with everything in the
last, less used tab of the interface.

> - Rather than have the sort by drop down, maybe just have tabs at the
> top, similar to how we have on the front of spins.fedoraproject.org - by
> popularity, by alphabetical. Maybe. Or maybe just list them by
> popularity and provide a search box for people who know what they are
> looking for?

Have a few of the the best rated games featured on the front page of the
spin/the first tab on the interface.

> I love the idea of bringing in the idea of personas here!!! Maybe we can
> come up with some characters (María's character come to mind :) ) to
> reflect the personalities behind each of the categories. I went through
> the list of games and came up with this set of categories, what do you
> think?
>
> - Adventure/Role-Playing
> - Board&  Card Games
> - First-Person Shooter
> - Learning
> - Platform
> - Puzzle
> - Racing&  Simulation
> - Strategy

I wouldn't put together in the same category games as Beneath a Steel
Sky and Lost Labyrinth, so make Adventure and Role-Playing into distinct
categories.
Also, I don't know how many games we have in this genre, but I don't
think something like Abuse should be categorised as Platform.