[Design-team] Still need help on the Games Spin Screenshots :)

James Mulroy hey.james.mulroy at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 27 19:57:20 UTC 2009

> 1) 'I like games! What games are in Fedora? I want to take a look and
> get a feel for them' - I think this may be the majority case, because if
> they were seeking Game X they'd search for the upstream site. So we want
> to enable rapid browsing without a particular goal game in mind.

For this i had a new idea :) I have created another mock up this time
focusing on getting a feel for the games in fedora, the idea i had was to
use more of a slide show / featured / spot light area at the top of the page
to show users straight away what's going on in the games spin, rather than
having to navigate to get info. This would also incorporate the top 10,
which i have dropped from the browser.

http://fedora.splictionary.com/spotlight_and_browser.pngpng.png

> Can you think of any other scenarios?

No.

> - The alphabetized navigation is less important, because search is
> easier to use if you know the game you want, and if you don't, category
> is more fun to look through. If we drop those tabs we lose 5 tabs making
> the UI much simpler (thus easier to grok!)

Agreed, when i was making the mock I was thinking it looked busy.

> - Rather than have the sort by drop down, maybe just have tabs at the
> top, similar to how we have on the front of spins.fedoraproject.org - by
> popularity, by alphabetical. Maybe. Or maybe just list them by
> popularity and provide a search box for people who know what they are
> looking for?

> What do you think?

I think you're right, a search box would be far more beneficial that
lettered tabs. I also think the method used to catalog spins on the
spins.fedoraproject.org page would also suite the games spin as stats and a
brief could be presented clearly. It would be much better than a screen shot
in a box which wouldn't allow for much writing to be displayed.