[Design-team] Fedora-tour: A Fedora Feature for new users

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 06:44:00 UTC 2009

Hello Design Team,

Ankur Sinha (fas username ankursinha, cc'd) and I have recently embarked on a
new project that is set, at the moment, to be included as a Fedora 14, or
possibly Fedora 13 feature, designed to give new and old users a tour of the
Fedora Project, Fedora Linux and their recently installed software. It would
add an option to the last form of Firstboot with the option to start this at
first login, serving as an equivalent to Windows' "Welcome Center" (I don't
have any pictures of this, unfortunately, for reference) and basically just
introduce Fedora users to their new desktop, and the project as a whole,
including ways to contribute, if they are interested. Naturally, such a
project will take the involvement of many teams, including the Design
team.

What Ankur and I were considering was to implement a visual introduction to
the application, with a tree (like, an actual tree with branches, etc) where
each leaf is a separate "part" of Fedora (General Overview, FAQ, Getting Help,
GNOME overview, KDE overview, LXDE overview, Development Tools, Joining Fedora
etc) all installable as separate packages, pulled in, most likely, by
installing packages from that Group in anaconda.

Such a project, of course, treads a fine line between the application
programming and designing, and having such an application, which could
possibly be presented as the first thing new Fedora users see, look and fit
with Fedora is very important. Ankur's (imo) awesome idea for the interactive
tree, where each leaf is an icon for that SIG/Piece of Fedora leading
introduces a few design questions which must be addressed.

How does the Design team feel about such a User interface? Does it fit with
the feel of Fedora/ We will probably have UI mockups by the end up this week.
How well would such an application work from an accessibility point of view

Thanks for your time,
Ryan Rix
(fas username rrix)

--
Ryan Rix
Fedora KDE SIG Member, Phoenix AZ Ambassador, News KDE Beat writer

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://identi.ca/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#plugaz,#fedora-kde and
      countless other FOSS channels.