[Design-team] F12 Final wallpaper polish

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 19:54:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 09:20:19AM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi Jaroslav,
>
> On 10/23/2009 04:07 AM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > It depends. We have prepared our KDE artwork to match first
> > background version, then colors changed so it does not look like
> > it should. So now if we choose darker blue one, I think there's no
> > need to rework it (but would be nice to again match another
> > theme). I thought we went through this with nice artwork schedule
> > for F12, first background, then other artwork. I was really happy
> > that we have everything ready in time for alpha and now we're
> > starting again from point zero
>
> Please be fair! This is not restarting from point zero. There is an
> absolute progression here if you start from the first iteration to these
> iterations.
>
> We have had two shots to get broad feedback. Alpha and Beta. Are we not
> allowed to make improvements on the artwork based on the feedback we get
> from the Beta?
>
> If not, I don't understand what the point is.

We also need to have a shared understanding that the schedule is there
to be helpful to teams in cross-coordinating.  Going over the schedule
is an open process and it's also iterative.  We have a chance to keep
improving it with each release so it's as helpful as possible.  The
schedule shouldn't be seen as a blocker for making critical
improvements.  (I'm sure that Máirín wasn't looking to put a ton of
extra hours in over a weekend, although I know it will be appreciated
by many in the long run.)

As we make the schedule for the F13 cycle we could introduce items to
proactively get people to do constructive cross-checks on things like
the default background earlier, so we aren't having to correct issues
so late in the process.  The schedule process for Fedora 13 will be
run openly on the list as previously, so I hope interested people will
take advantage of the opportunity to participate when it comes around
shortly.