[Design-team] Fedora, and the fedora

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 20:05:36 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 11:06:09PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
[...snip...]
> I will also note that Red Hat, excepting the considerably minor
> 'no-hats' requirement, has bestowed upon this community design team a
> commendable degree of freedom in determining the Fedora project's brand,
> look, and feel. Red Hat funded the design of the Fedora logo and an
> initial set of usage guidelines to set us off on the right foot, but
> from there they have not only agreeable but encouraging us to set a
> direction for Fedora's signature artwork and other branding collateral.
>
>  I'm very grateful for Red Hat's trust in us as a community to take
> proper care of the Fedora brand.

Máirín, this was a great summary and I appreciate your taking the time
to write it.  I also wanted to point out that from my perspective,
Fedora has worked long and hard to establish our brand and the values
that underlie it.  The logo also has a quite interesting history
behind it, and a lot of thought went into its design.[1] Fragmenting
the Fedora brand by using something other than the simple, powerful
logo we've come to know and love would be quite a step backward!

* * *
[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/History