[Design-team] Inkscape Course for Jr. High Students

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Thu Oct 29 04:59:50 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

My Red Hat office, the Boston office, is going to be doing a program
with a local middle school / jr. high (students are 11-14 I think) and
I'm going to be teaching a 9 session (45 minutes a piece) course in
Inkscape to the students. We are trying to introduce the students to the
concept of free software & open content licenses such as Creative
Commons, plus teach them how to use this useful tool that might help
them in their academic career.

I'm trying to put together a lesson plan for the course. But I fear that
it moves way too fast, especially for 45-minute sessions. I know many of
you, I am sure, have given Inkscape tutorials to other folks, and I am
wondering if any of you would have time to give me advice or even help
me develop the lesson plan.

I set up a wiki to store all the materials:

http://linuxgrrl.com/learn/Introduction_To_Inkscape

(I also have materials from a 1-week class I taught at Red Hat High with
John Bintz and MentalGuy from Inkscape:
http://linuxgrrl.com/learn/Comic_Book_Creation_with_Inkscape)