[Design-team] Inkscape Course for Jr. High Students

María Leandro tatica at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 29 11:54:42 UTC 2009

Awesome mo!!!

I have given several workshops, from 45 minutes to 4 1:30 class. This
is what I usually do:

Day one: Almost nothing, I let them play with inkscape and ask them to
compare what they see similar to other tools. Some basic properties
(document size, how to save and import,) because sometimes people
don't even know how to do this basic stuff... and this will help you
to know what does your students already know. Is important because you
don't want to bore them. Also try some basic shapes (squares, circles
and stars) and basic color.

Day two: Start tracing some vectors, so they can lose fear to this
tool. Also some color combination, gradients, patterns and maybe some
deform tool. Try some exercises trying to draw things of their
classroom and teach them how to see lines and shapes inside an object
(this will help them a lot) using some decomposition. They will draw
easily when they understand that everything is based on shapes and
lines.

Day three: Crystal, blur, fonts.... Styles... a lot.

Day four: Importing bitmaps and convert them into vectors. This is
always fun. Try make some Warhol techniques. Also let them do some
wallpapers using this vectors. I think they can do artwork on day 3.

 I hope this tips helps you :D