[Design-team] Inkscape Course for Jr. High Students

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Thu Oct 29 14:17:57 UTC 2009

On 10/29/2009 04:55 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> I'm trying to put together a lesson plan for the course. But I fear that
>> it moves way too fast, especially for 45-minute sessions. I know many of
>> you, I am sure, have given Inkscape tutorials to other folks, and I am
>> wondering if any of you would have time to give me advice or even help
>> me develop the lesson plan.
>
> This sound like fun.
>
> Here are a few notes on your initial plan:
>
> - Session 1: I think you jump a bit too soon to tracing bitmpas, which
> is somewhat an advanced function (all the exercises are about tracing).
> I would start more on basic objects and compositions made with basic
> objects, for a better understanding on what vector graphics are. More
> focus on original creations.

Okay, point taken! This all does move wayyyyy too fast.

> - Session 2: maybe here is a great time for  something based on tatica's
> awesome tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G0pQjfqfGM

Oh that's perfect!! I think that'd be a great project to start with.

> - Session 8 and 9 are in my opinion a bit too advanced for your target
> audience (inner working of printing is not for everyone). Maybe instead
> some graphics for use on web?

Yeh that's a good idea...!

> Also, I would have liked somewhere a bit about free drawing and the
> calligraphic tool.

Great point. Red Hat is actually going to donate some Wacom Bamboo
tablets to the school (10 tablets, and the class is 10 students.) So
this coursework needs to take better advantage of that.

Thank you so much for the feedback!