[Design-team] Inkscape Course for Jr. High Students

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Thu Oct 29 14:21:18 UTC 2009

On 10/29/2009 07:54 AM, María Leandro wrote:
> Awesome mo!!!
>
> I have given several workshops, from 45 minutes to 4 1:30 class. This
> is what I usually do:
>
> Day one: Almost nothing, I let them play with inkscape and ask them to
> compare what they see similar to other tools. Some basic properties
> (document size, how to save and import,) because sometimes people
> don't even know how to do this basic stuff... and this will help you
> to know what does your students already know. Is important because you
> don't want to bore them. Also try some basic shapes (squares, circles
> and stars) and basic color.

Ahh this sounds like a smart plan. And maybe based on this day, I can
better gauge where the students are at, and change up the classes that
follow based on their needs and interests.

> Day two: Start tracing some vectors, so they can lose fear to this
> tool.

Do you think I should provide them some photos or artwork to trace,
using either/or the bezier pen or calligraphy tool? (they will have tablets)

> Also some color combination, gradients, patterns and maybe some
> deform tool.

I think they are going to love the deform tool :)

> Try some exercises trying to draw things of their
> classroom and teach them how to see lines and shapes inside an object
> (this will help them a lot) using some decomposition. They will draw
> easily when they understand that everything is based on shapes and
> lines.

Ah that's a great idea! I'm trying to go with a 'rock band' theme for
the class, maybe I could bring in an electric guitar for them to draw :)

> Day three: Crystal, blur, fonts.... Styles... a lot.

This is going to be the most fun day for them I think :)

> Day four: Importing bitmaps and convert them into vectors. This is
> always fun. Try make some Warhol techniques. Also let them do some
> wallpapers using this vectors. I think they can do artwork on day 3.
>
>  I hope this tips helps you :D

It really does, thanks!! I think you have a bit more experience than I
do at this kind of thing (I've only taught the Red Hat High one week
class once; all the other times I've just done one-session demos at LUG
meetings or other kinds of one-time presentations.)