[Design-team] Inkscape Course for Jr. High Students

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Thu Oct 29 14:23:41 UTC 2009

On 10/29/2009 08:48 AM, Patrick Connelly wrote:
> I love the idea and overall concepts that you've given here.  I tend to agree
> with what's been said that it seems pretty fast.  I think that you might want to
> look at removing 8 & 9 and extending some of the other ones.  Maybe leave those
> there for the students that are ahead.  Or maybe have the last day be a
> "free-for-all" day where you can let them do whatever they want.  And offer up
> 8 & 9 as suggestions to get them started.

Ah that's a great idea. I can keep the 8 & 9 exercises, but make them
all bonus exercises 'for when you get home and want to keep developing
your skills with this stuff.' I like the idea of a free-for-all day at
the end because it gives them a chance to ask questions about how to do
the projects they're interested in doing after the class is over - gives
them a head start maybe.

> I would also take the time to talk about file formats and their differences when
> you get to exercise 6.  A lot of people don't know when you should use what
> type.

Oh that is a great point. I wasn't even thinking about file formats.
I'll probably talk to them about SVG, SVGZ, and PNG, and talk to them
about why SVG > AI :)

Thanks!!!!