[Design-team] F13 Release Banner

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 6 12:47:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 11:09 +0200, Fabian A. Scherschel wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> I have attached my first draft of the F13 release banner, please give
> me some feedback. I especially want to know if the second rocket
> replacing the number one in 13 is too much and/or if it is too hard to
> grog at first sight. The background rocket image is from NASA under
> public domain [1].

Wow Fab, this is sweet! I really like the angle you've got the screen
at; it's an inviting angle, it makes you feel drawn in. The coloring and
lighting is perfect. I think I do agree with a couple of critique points
other folks made:

- Because the rocket is much smaller than the screen in proportion, it
looks a little strange for the fire to run on top of the screenshot. But
I understand wanting to have some cool fiery effects, too. Maybe have
the main stream run behind the screenshot, but have some fire curls curl
upwards both behind and in front of the screenshot?

- I think having two rockets is also a little over the top - you've set
up such a nice and clean composition here, having the two makes it a bit
more complicated. I'd pick one or the other. I think the white rocket
'1' actually looks quite nice and has some really nice lines. A few
things maybe to consider:

  - remove the photographic rocket, move the 'f' and the '3' up so the
rocket reads more like a one (so the '3' is aligned with the solid part
of the white rocket rather than halfway up the flames) and maybe replace
the diagonal the current photographic rocket creates with some swirly
stars...

  - remove the white rocket from the 'f13' mark in the lower right, and
replace the photographic rocket with the white one - maybe keep the
orange flames or maybe do white flames.

- Just a totally weird idea you can throw out - your composition made me
think of it - make it look like the rocket is 'taking off' from the
swirl in the screenshot's wallpaper... might have to back the screenshot
up a bit and angle it more towards the ground to achieve this. Not sure
if it'd work either.

Awesome work Fab, I'm really impressed :)