[Design-team] Fedora UX design

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 02:25:59 UTC 2010

On 04/08/2010 06:25 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> "we work together". Really, the description is necessarily a bit fuzzy,
> since the collaboration between various involved groups (fedora
> designers, desktop team, upstreams) is a fluid process. And I would
> argue that it is good to leave things on this level. Unless you want to
> follow the Ubuntu model where the Canonical design team is calling the
> shots behind closed doors...

On the contrary,  that sort of thing is precisely what I am trying to
avoid and ensure that we have thought about this in length.  If the
responsibilities are defined clearly, we set the expectations
accordingly and if we commit ourselves explicitly to work on a
collaborative way, we can expect the community to hold us accountable
for that.  So  I would like to see the document to a bit more explicit
about the process that we are trying to follow even if is a fluid one,
say so!

> It has rarely been the case in the past that the design team has
> proposed changes 'spontaneously'. Most cases that I have been involved
> in have started with a request for design advice from the other side.
>
> Maybe this is something that we should consider changing. I think it
> could be interesting to have 'UX focus areas' for a release. E.g. we
> could declare F14 to be the 'release where we examine and improve the
> printing experience', and organize UI reviews/papercut sessions around
> that topic. Of course, this requires buy-in from the maintainers and
> developers of affected packages.

Yes.  I would like to see the design team focus beyond themes, more into
these sort of broader changes, working with the Desktop SIG (Not that it
isn't already happening)

Rahul