[Design-team] Allegheny College, Testing the Fedora 13 Design Spin

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 15:11:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 08:47:39AM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 04/15/2010 10:05 PM, Annamarie Morino wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Annie
>
> > My name is Annie Morino, and I am one of 42 students from Allegheny
> > College testing Fedora 13. My group is specifically working with the
> > design spin. We have been asked to help Fedora create a website
> > explaining the best parts of Fedora 13's design spin. To do this, we
> > have been exploring the spin, and taking notes on the difficulty and the
> > interesting programs. I have posted my findings on my fas account wiki
> > home page.
> >
> > Would someone please take a look and tell me what they think? And maybe
> > they could also tell me what to experiment with next based on my
> > discoveries today.
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Morinoa
>
> I appreciate your candid feedback which at times is kind of a brutal
> cold shower telling how people from the outside see us.
>
> I won't comment much on the Evolution part, since I am not using it (I'm
> sticking with Thunderbird) and we have people from the Desktop team here
> which can answer better, I just hope that warning will be gone until we
> reach the final release (you used beta or pre-beta software). Evolution
> is the default main client on the Desktop spin, so we are inheriting it
> as a default, as the Design spin is intended for desktop usage.

Yes, the Evolution warning does not appear in the final version that
ships with Fedora 13.  It appears in the pre-release versions that we
ship with our pre-release Fedora 13 Alpha and Beta, but has
disappeared at this point.

> Agave is a nice little apps that I (and some other people around here)
> are linking a lot. But I can see how it can be confusing for someone not
> knowing about it: it allows to create color palettes which can be used
> later in GIMP, Inkscape and some other apps. It is not developed by us,
> but is an "upstream" project: http://home.gna.org/colorscheme/
>
> Now to your suggestions:
>
> That would be a glossary of terms used in Linux, Windows and Mac (Fedora
> is a flavor of Linux) and I am sure there must be one around somewhere
> on the internet.
>
> For the "computer lingo", would you find useful enough something like
> http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/go01.html ?

Or the User Guide at http://docs.fedoraproject.org ?  I'm interested
in the quesetions raised because they might be good issues to file as
bugs for that User Guide.  For instance, I don't see any clear answer
to the question "Where do I save my files?".  One might assume the
answer would be the Documents folder that comes up in a Save dialog,
but it's not crystal-clear.