[Design-team] Advice Request - GTK+ theming

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 21:22:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 23:04 +0200, Kris Thomsen wrote:
> Your work look very good so far :)
>
> Will play a little with Inkscape when I get the time. How do I make
> widgets? Are there some templates or rules to follow for the different
> parts?
Rules? No. Limitations -- yes: even though the code is written in C and
we can get pretty wild, it's still not a good thing to draw outside of
widget's allocated space (thus to draw shadows, we need to make the
actual drawing of the widget a bit smaller,...), the more complex you
design the widget, the slower it will draw, think about usability --
does it stand out enough, does it fit well with the rest of the
theme, ...? Also, we are not supposed to know the progress of
progressbars we are drawing, so advanced effects on their fill are out
of question, ...

I'm not aware of templates either, I just use things like masks, rounded
rectangles, circles and gradients (all of these are easily replicated
with Cairo in the drawing code when implementing it).

I attach an SVG with the widgets I originally designed for the code you
just built, to have some reference/example, plus you can get more SVG
examples on the bottom of the 0.8.x brainstorm page (these are mostly
obsoleted older designs, but for reference good enough):

https://fedorahosted.org/nodoka/wiki/0.8.x_Brainstorm

Martin