[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Dec 17 07:10:44 UTC 2010

On 12/17/2010 01:54 AM, Owen Taylor wrote:

> We want Fedora to be the showcase for GNOME 3 and to be a good example
> to other distributions about how to package GNOME 3. So, to go along
> with the release splash for Fedora 15, we'd like to make special request
> that for this release we use the GNOME background in the Fedora GNOME
> packages and hence in the default Fedora desktop.

As I understood the opinions in the latest team IRC meeting, blog
comments, mailing list discussions and direct contacts with community
members, the general opinion is such a move would be detrimental to
Fedora's own image and of little use for GNOME promotion.

> I want to be clear that this is not in any way saying that we don't like
> the Fedora backgrounds ... the recent Fedora backgrounds are great, and
> keep on getting cleaner and more professional looking every release. The
> issue is rather a question of trying to provide a single look for the
> GNOME 3 release rather than a series of looks, one per distribution.

Can you name at least one other *relevant* distro that will use the same
background as default? Especially if they know this may be *our* default?

>   * What about the rest of the artwork?
>
>     I think trying to adapt the entire set of artwork in Fedora to have
>     different looks for different spins is probably more confusing then
>     anything else. The GNOME default background matches pretty well with
>     the Fedora look, so it's not going to be jarring to switch to it
>     after seeing the standard Fedora artwork for boot.

Case in point: the GDM background would be the same as the GNOME
background or as the general-purpose background used by all the other
spins? Which one of the spins will have an inconsistent experience? The
same about the Plymouth colors. We are supposed to use *vertical
stripes* or not in GRUB, Anaconda, firstboot etc.? How about website
identity?