[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Fabian A. Scherschel fab at sixgun.org
Fri Dec 17 13:40:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>wrote:

> Can we cool down the rhetoric just a bit?  That would really help this
> discussion be more constructive, so thanks in advance Fab.

That implies that there actually *is* a discussion. From what I've read so
far, this "special request" wasn't a request at all and didn't sound like
something that was really negotiable.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that sketching had just
> begun for F15 wallpaper.  Is this request undoing a really huge amount
> of work?  For instance, I don't see any entries yet here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F15_Artwork

I think all who worked on this so far were under the impression that we were
working on the default wallpaper. Of course, this isn't undoing any work but
I think it's a huge disappointment for the people who were working on this.
I couldn't make the actual meeting but I was prepared to put a lot of effort
into a wallpaper proposal, I'm not sure the arrangement that we have now
warrants that.

> According to the schedule, the "Design wallpaper" task just started
> three days ago.  So it seems to me this request comes at a pretty good
> time, seeing as how that task lasts about three weeks.  We just don't
> want to take all three weeks to debate and decide, then, right?

OK, let me put this bluntly: This "request", if it goes through, will take
away maybe 80% of what the team actually influences in a release for the F15
cycle. At least that's my impression (keep in mind that I haven't been with
the team all that long). You are basically asking us to put aside all
previously established pratices on voting for the final default wallpaper
among several wallpaper candidates prepared by the team and third parties.
And who knows if this isn't going to be the way we'll do it from here on
out? As much as I like Fedora's upstream policy, applying that to artwork is
silly IMHO. Either that or having a Design Team at all is.

> Personally, I really like the idea that Fedora is being asked to be
> the tip of the spear showing off the new GNOME 3.  A lot of work has
> gone into it, and not just by people inside Red Hat, but by a wide
> community of free software contributors.

Nobody is doubting that. But does that mean we have to ship the default
wallpaper? If we had known this earlier, maybe we could've been involved in
the creation of that default wallpaper then.... I have been saying for ages
that having a kickass Gnome 3 setup could be a really huge step in setting
Fedora apart visually (something that is badly needed IMO) and I can't
really see how shipping the default wallpaper in Fedora is helping Gnome
Shell. If Gnome Shell is really defined by their wallpaper, we have a lot
bigger problems than I though...

> On top of that, I seem to recall that the Desktop Live image for F-15
> was slated to be larger than CD-sized.  If that's the case, with
> proper coordination between teams, why not look into having an entire
> set of supplemental wallpapers created by the Fedora Design team
> included in the Desktop Live image?  I'm not sure we've ever included
> those by default before, but it would be a great way to let people
> further customize their Fedora desktop, out of the box and in a Fedora
> specific way if they want.

That sounds great, but it sure sounds to me like you're trying to appease
the Design Team for having its biggest responsibility taken away. As I said,
I have no clue when the idea to ship the default Gnome art came up or where
exactly it originated but I think the whole Design Team should have been
included in the discussion right then and there.

Fab